We spend a lot of time on our tech devices and over time our phones and tablets can become slow or cluttered. So, when it comes to spring cleaning, don’t forget to tidy up your tech.
Other than the obvious, like deleting old messages and photos, where should you begin? We hear these questions from our customers all the time, so our team of tech experts compiled a quick list of tips to get control of your digital clutter:
Sweep out the junk
- Delete unnecessary data by removing texts, call history, voicemail and unused apps.
- Clear the system cache and remove old or duplicate contacts.
- Disable “bloatware” applications—the ones that come pre-loaded on your device but you may not use (like the stock market app on iOS).
- For the hard-core spring cleaners, Factory Reset your device once a year. This allows you to start from scratch and only re-install the things you actually use, so you don’t build up clutter year after year. Just be sure you’ve saved the content you want to keep beforehand!
- Set up monthly reminders on storage updates, moving your photos automatically to your computer to avoid reaching maximum storage space on your phone.
- Tidy up your email account by setting up multiple filters or inbox categories to auto-sort your incoming mail.
- Use unroll.me to unsubscribe from emails you no longer want to get.
- Upload pictures and videos to Google Photos (unlimited backup space for free!) This not only saves space on your device but helps keep your memories organized and easily searchable.
Protect against bugs
- Connected devices can be easily hacked – keep yours safe by resetting things like wireless routers to their factory settings and reset the default password. This will wipe out any existing malware.
Want more tips? If you are enrolled in your phone carrier’s protection and support program, you may already have unlimited access to our tech experts who can help you learn, grow and do more with your technology!